Thalamus’ mission is to help the right doctors practice at the right hospitals to treat the right patients. We leverage a passion for technology, medical education, equity, and data-driven research to optimize physician recruitment, starting with the medical residency recruitment process.
Thalamus was born out of our founders’ first-hand experience navigating this stressful and costly process during a particularly challenging interview season disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. Since then, the company has scheduled over 2M interviews for 250K+ physicians. Over 200 academic medical centers and hospital systems in the US & Canada — representing 2500+ residency and fellowship programs in over 100 specialties — trust Thalamus to recruit their next generation of physicians. Over 90% of all applicants pass through Thalamus as well. We are the premier solution and experts in Graduate Medical Education (GME) recruitment. The company is backed by prominent VCs in Silicon Valley.
Our philosophy is that the opportunity to practice medicine in an ideal environment should be accessible to all. We built a comprehensive interview management platform, backed by evidence-based research, to innovate, streamline, and optimize the residency recruitment process.
Our cloud-based software is used by hospital program administrators and faculty to manage all the moving pieces involved with application review, scheduling, interviewing (including virtually), scoring, and ranking. We integrate with ERAS (the centralized application clearinghouse) and the NRMP (where the match algorithm does its magic). For applicants, they can sign up for interviews in real time (like open table without a restaurant) and manage their calendars.
This is the critical phase in the life of a physician dedicated to the dream of practicing medicine. Every year, approximately 50,000 medical students apply, and 35,000 match, to become medical residents at hospitals throughout the US. We’re honored to play our role in this process.
We are seeking a strong, motivated individual to be our first Staff Data Engineer. You will take ownership of improving information accessibility through cross-functional coordination, pipeline development, documentation, and testing. We are scaling up, and you will have a seat at the table as we grow. If you want to be integral to creating something great, Thalamus is where you will want to be. You will be part of a strong, collaborative team.
You’ll have opportunities to shine across multiple dimensions …
- by working closely with the Head of Data Science to understand the Information group’s role in strengthening Thalamus’s infrastructure.
- by working across functional areas to gather requirements and synthesize plans.
- by working closely with Operations and DevOps to improve business observability.
- by developing unit tests for critical functions in the data warehouse and data lake.
- by writing maintainable, well-commented, and documented code in Python, PySpark and SQL.
- by developing useful analytics solutions for internal and external consumers.
- by developing machine learning solutions to predictive problems in Python and R.
- by integrating new resources from inside and outside of Thalamus to our data lake and data warehouse.
You’ll have a high probability of success in this role if you have …
- Strong analytical skills
- The ability to code in Python, PySpark, R, SQL
- The discipline to write clean, regularized, commented, and documented code
- Excellent communication skills enabling you to work with technical and non-technical peers
- Strong knowledge of distributed and parallel computing fundamentals
- Comfort with relational and NoSQL database architectures
- A graduate degree in math, computational sciences, or statistics/data science and 2 years experience in closely applicable role.
- OR five years industry experience in closely applicable role
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure, especially Azure
- Bonus: familiarity with Graduate Medical Education (GME), healthcare, business intelligence, or interview/application software.
Our Benefits …
- Merit-based compensation – Competitive base salary plus bonus and equity opportunities
- Work from anywhere – Roles are open to candidates located anywhere in the U.S (United States).
- Hours – We optimize for results, not hours worked. Choose a schedule that works for you.
- Unlimited PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance. Thalamus covers 100% of the premium cost for employees.
- Health and wellness perks including life & disability insurance, healthcare funding options like FSAs (Flexible Spending Accounts) and HSAs (Health Savings Account), pre-tax commuter benefits, an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) program, discounts on pet insurance, and a care concierge to help you navigate the healthcare system
Our Values …
- Bravery with Purpose: We are leaders. Thalamus was founded to challenge the status quo, no matter how engrained a process might be. We take chances, while calculating risk. Even when opportunities don’t go as expected, we study our results and try again.
- Imagination Optimized: Imagination requires knowledge; without knowledge there are only ideas. At Thalamus, we imagine and create optimized solutions for our team, partners, and customers. We are flexible in approach, efficient in process, and nimble in scope and scale. We encourage personal and professional learning, collaboration, and growth.
- Genuine Collaboration: We are passionate about our work and how we do it. We support our team, partners, and customers with respect, integrity, and sincerity. We rely on each other to achieve our goals accurately and efficiently. We are a better company when we are a better team.
We are opportunistically equitable, so diversity, inclusion and belonging can flourish
Thalamus is a mission-driven organization centered on the belief that our company should model what we want of the US healthcare system, that the diversity of providers aligns with patient populations. We believe this is best achieved by building a team with a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and experiences, including “distance traveled.” Thalamus is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, and any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
We encourage those who really want to make an impact and who exemplify our core values to apply for our open positions.
How to apply …
If you got to this point, we hope you are excited about this role! Even if you feel that you do not meet all the requirements and qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. Do so by sending an email to Ephy Love, Head of Data Science, at email@example.com. We are eager to speak with those who share our passion to create a great company and fill a critical need – not just those who match every point in our description. When you write to us, please share why we shouldn’t consider anyone else but you for this role.