Thalamus’ mission is to help the right doctors practice at the right hospitals to treat the right patients. We leverage a passion for technology, medical education, equity, and data-driven research to optimize physician recruitment, starting with the medical residency recruitment process.
Our philosophy is that the opportunity to practice medicine in an ideal environment should be accessible to all. We built a comprehensive interview management platform, backed by evidence-based research, to innovate, streamline, and optimize the residency recruitment process.
Our cloud-based software is used by hospital program administrators and faculty to manage all the moving pieces involved with application review, scheduling, interviewing (including virtually), scoring, and ranking. We integrate with ERAS (the centralized application clearinghouse) and the NRMP (where the match algorithm does its magic). For applicants, they can sign up for interviews in real time (like OpenTable without a restaurant) and manage their calendars.
Thalamus was born out of our founders’ first-hand experience navigating this stressful and costly process during a particularly challenging interview season disrupted by Hurricane Sandy. Since then, the company has scheduled over 2M interviews for 250K+ physicians. Over 200 academic medical centers and hospital systems in the US & Canada — representing 2500+ residency and fellowship programs in over 100 specialties — trust Thalamus to recruit their next generation of physicians. Over 90% of all applicants pass through Thalamus as well. We are the premier solution and experts in Graduate Medical Education (GME) recruitment. The company is backed by prominent VCs in Silicon Valley.
This is the critical phase in the life of a physician dedicated to the dream of practicing medicine. Every year, approximately 50,000 medical students apply, and 35,000 match, to become medical residents at hospitals throughout the US. We’re honored to play our role in this process.
We are seeking a collaborative, motivated Head of Sales who will take ownership of delivering on-target revenue growth. We are scaling up, and you will have a seat at the table as we grow. If you want to be integral to creating something great, Thalamus is where you will want to be.
You’ll have opportunities to shine across multiple dimensions …
- by working with Marketing to engage and close inbound leads.
- by refining prospecting techniques to build defensible pipeline and close outbound leads.
- by implementing a sales tech stack to drive efficiency and data-driven decision making.
- by designing the optimal configuration of the sales team and recruiting, hiring, training, and effectively coaching reps to success.
- by maintaining your own pipeline of deals and closing new revenue to support both growth targets as well as inform sales design iteration.
- by collaborating with Product to ensure customer feedback is being received and correct value propositions are being communicated to prospects and customers.
- by managing and mentoring Thalamus account management resources to achieve net churn and expansion targets.
- by maintaining data integrity within SFDC and supporting team members with ad hoc reporting requests.
You’ll have a high probability of success in this role if you have …
- Demonstrable results driving B2B SaaS sales in an enterprise sales context.
- Experience with D2C selling and conversion tactics.
- Experience selling within (and to) the healthcare market, especially health systems.
- An “owner-operator” mindset and experience in program building. This is a “zero-to-one” role.
- Experience working with both Marketing and Product to develop aligned tactics.
- A network from which to draw your future team members as well as to gain advice and insight as you adapt strategies & tactics to our product/market.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, incorporating multiple points of view, and helping to align interests.
- An intrinsic orientation towards serving customers and delivering a “Raving Fans” level of delight.
- Strong cross-functional and executive-level communication & presentation abilities.
- The ability to lead and work autonomously in a remote environment.
- Bonus: Expertise in GME, HR Tech, and/or BI/Data Products.
Our Benefits …
- Merit-based compensation – Competitive base salary plus bonus and equity opportunities.
- Work from anywhere – Roles are open to candidates located anywhere in the U.S. (United States).
- Hours – We optimize for results, not hours worked. Choose a schedule that works for you.
- Unlimited PTO (Paid Time Off).
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance. Thalamus covers 100% of the premium cost for employees.
- Health and wellness perks including life & disability insurance, healthcare funding options like FSAs (Flexible Spending Accounts) and HSAs (Health Savings Account), pre-tax commuter benefits, an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) program, discounts on pet insurance, and a care concierge to help you navigate the healthcare system.
Our Values …
- Bravery with Purpose: We are leaders. Thalamus was founded to challenge the status quo, no matter how engrained a process might be. We take chances, while calculating risk. Even when opportunities don’t go as expected, we study our results and try again.
- Imagination Optimized: Imagination requires knowledge; without knowledge there are only ideas. At Thalamus, we imagine and create optimized solutions for our team, partners, and customers. We are flexible in approach, efficient in process, and nimble in scope and scale. We encourage personal and professional learning, collaboration, and growth.
- Genuine Collaboration: We are passionate about our work and how we do it. We support our team, partners, and customers with respect, integrity, and sincerity. We rely on each other to achieve our goals accurately and efficiently. We are a better company when we are a better team.
We are opportunistically equitable, so diversity, inclusion and belonging can flourish
Thalamus is a mission-driven organization centered on the belief that our company should model what we want of the US healthcare system, that the diversity of providers aligns with patient populations. We believe this is best achieved by building a team with a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and experiences, including “distance traveled.” Thalamus is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, and any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
We encourage those who really want to make an impact and who exemplify our core values to apply for our open positions.
How to apply …
If you got to this point, we hope you are excited about this role! Even if you feel that you do not meet all the requirements and qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. Do so by sending an email to Kevin Lindbergh, COO, at email@example.com. We are eager to speak with those who share our passion to create a great company and fill a critical need – not just those who match every point in our description. When you write to us, please attach a PDF of your resume and share why we shouldn’t consider anyone else but you for this role.